It seems Ford Motor Co. was a bit jealous of all the attention given to last week's breathlessly hyped unveiling of the Apple Watch and iPhone 6. During Apple's two-hour webcast, Ford used its main Twitter account and the hashtag "#wegotthat2" to joke that its products already offered many of the new devices' most alluring features:
- In response to the iPhone's new curved glass front, Ford posted a photo of a car's windshield and proclaimed, "We've got glass, too. Objects appear in 3D!"
- On the phone's longer battery life, it deadpanned, "That's cool. Our batteries power an entire car."
- On the phone being offered in two larger sizes, it offered a picture of a MyFord Touch screen and wrote, "A 5.5" inch touchscreen? Impressive ... but how about an 8" one?"
- On the phone's improved camera, it said, "Autofocus? We have a Focus auto."
- Ford said it offered mobile-payment capability long before the iPhone: "Our vehicles feature state-of-the-art coin trays in the center console. #basicallythesamething."
- As for the Apple Watch, Ford responded, "Our clocks come in a variety of options --Military time and Standard."
Ford, of course, worked with Apple rival Microsoft to develop Sync and MyFord Touch, though it broke off that relationship this year after widespread quality issues.
No word from Ford on whether its biggest product of the year, the upcoming F-150, will -- like the iPhone -- fit in your pocket and cost just $199 with a two-year contract.