A dizzying range of vehicles -- from sturdy crossovers to lightning-fast supercars to an app-summoned autonomous two-seat EV -- sparkled under the bright lights at the Geneva auto show.
Mercedes-AMG GT Concept
- Vehicle type: Four-door performance hybrid
- Engine: 4.0-liter V-8 twin turbo combined with ultralight battery delivers more than 800 hp
- Who designed it: Gorden Wagener and Robert Lesnik
- What’s cool: The fastback accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in less than three seconds; electric motor on rear axle balances weight distribution; torque vectoring to better deliver power to the road; hybrid power pack is derived from the Mercedes-AMG Petronas Formula One race car
- Will it be built: Series production version to launch next year
- Show reaction: AMG’s muscular shark-nosed predator is seen as a serious competitor to Porsche Panamera Turbo and Tesla Model S P100D